Phillips Pet Food & Supplies is transforming its distribution and supply chain operations. The company’s Operations & Supply Chain team is focused on refining and expanding distribution capabilities through transportation and warehouse technological advances, which are helping Phillips build the industry leading distribution platform.
Phillips is making a significant investment in technology to enhance pet product distribution accuracy and efficiency to support a best in class customer experience.
Recently completed transportation and warehouse advances at Phillips include:
- Code Dating: This system of coding, tracking and monitoring ensures the freshness of consumable products shipped to retailers. Code Dating is at all 15 of Phillips’ warehouses (except Pennsylvania).
- Refrigeration Expansion: To accommodate the nationwide expansion of the growing Fresh & Frozen category, Phillips added storage capacity, temperature-controlled units and labor at its distribution centers across the country.
- RF (Radio Frequency) Barcode Gun Scanning: RF is at all warehouses (except PA) and supports inventory control and more accurate product picking.
- Roadnet Anywhere Platform Upgrade: This cloud-based system controls outbound shipping and allows for the efficient management of equipment, deliveries and drivers.
Ongoing transportation and warehouse advances at Phillips include:
- Transportation Management System (TMS): The TMS will help manage inbound freight by allowing carriers to go to an internet portal to select a time to unload at the Phillips’ loading docks as well as management of the entire inbound process.
- Omnitracs Computer System: The handheld computer can scan products, take photos and act as a GPS and ELD (electronic logging device) for drivers. The system confirms delivery through a customer signature screen, product scanning and GPS data. The system has a customer-facing element to send real-time messages if a delivery time is altered by traffic, weather or other issues.
- Slot 3D: This software for product selection and storage provides optimal positioning of products in warehouse slots.
- Providing Understanding & Proficiency (PUP) performance management system: PUP utilizes Argent Consulting’s APT Labor Management System and two-way feedback to create more efficiency for job functions.
The pet industry is undertaking a huge change in delivering products to customers, especially in urban areas where there is growth in pet product consumers and pet ownership. Phillips’ commitment to technology, to our staff and to our customers and vendors will allow us to stay ahead of these new opportunities and supports the company vision to be the preferred service provider in Pet Specialty.